Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2012

How I was suckered in by a pretty cover.....

Just recently I spent a few hours in a Barnes and Noble browsing the shelves and of course, adding a few books to my little stack that I felt compelled to purchase. Now, if you've been reading my blog over the past couple of months, you may have noticed that I've been on a bit of a romance kick. One of my authors that I'm currently infatuated with is Nora Roberts, so when I came across a title that I wasn't familiar with but a cover style that I was, I immediately put it in my stack of books to buy. My heart was racing because I got the very last copy and I was secretly doing that little happy Snoopy dance because it was in my possession. I looked it all over and said outloud, "Wow, how come I didn't know that she had a new series that was just released?? How did I miss that?" And then I shrugged and figured who cares, I have a copy now!! On the ride home I was so excited and like all book geeks out there couldn't wait to get on my iPad to add this title to my Goodreads account! My fingers were racing on the keyboard entering the title of the book and then the page appears but the cover doesn't look anything like mine. What? This isn't the one that I just bought. But then I glanced again at the information in front of me and I swear these words popped off the screen and SLAPPED me in the face...first published in 1996! WTH?????
Who would buy this one?
I just paid 15 bucks for a book that was published over 16 years ago? A book that is probably sitting on my library's shelf and without a wait list??? What??? You mean this isn't a brand new book in a new series?? You mean that I really didn't get one over on the other person who wanted this book too??? GAAH!!! And that's when I realized I had been suckered by the publishing company.

Those evil genius bastards got me! I'm THAT person who they targeted when they reprinted this book with the cover style (Bride Quartet and Inn Boonsboro) that is currently a hot commodity for Roberts. They knew I would fall for their marketing tactics, they knew I had SUCKER written all over my face.

But I did end up with a book that has a beautiful cover and I'm sure that it will bring me a few hours of reading pleasure. I have learned my lesson though, I need to quit being a cover snob!!

Has this ever happened to you???

20 comments:

  1. Ignore my e mail re this! What an idiot I am. Anywhooo - sorry you parted with your hard earned bux for something you already have. Sheesh! This has happened to us at the library book sale. That's ok because the price is cheap enough and I don't mind giving $ to the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! That sucks that they do that!! I haven't had that happen to me.... I got your books yesterday my friend!!! Thank you!!!!!! I have all ready started reading one of them!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOLOL! Definitely had me spitting my coffee out on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, this post had me roaring! You are too funny. Yes, I'm a sucker for book covers...but I just read a book (review on my blog today) with a yucky cover that was sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would've fallen for that cover, too! It's gorgeous.

    I've been suckered in by covers, but thankfully I've kept my wallet closed...most of the time. If I didn't, I'd have even more multiple copies of Austen books floating around my house than there already are. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uggggh, first off this really irks me. Publishers should not be allowed to do that. The back cover should clearly state that it has been previously published. I can't tell you how many times I run across some pretty upset people on Amazon who have had the same thing happen to them. On the plus side at least you hadn't read it before so enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sneaky bastards! I have been swayed by a fantastic cover as well. But since I rarely buy books this happens more with library books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take it back! I do it all the time when I realized that I've purchased a book twice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd be right back there the next day returning it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a beautiful new cover! They almost got me with an older book of hers. But luckily I checked the copywrite date.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I haven't actually been tricked into buying a new/old version of a book, but I sure have been suckered many, many times by a pretty cover (only to be terribly disappointed with the storyline.) I am absolutely a cover snob, and a fabulous cover will make my open my wallet without blinking! Sorry about your Nora Roberts purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Staci...I feel your pain...LOL I had the same experience with a Karen Robards and Tess Gerritsen book. Hate when they do that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Doll!

    Yes, it has and also with a Nora book. She started re releasing a lot of her books with upgraded covers a couple years back. I had that excitement factor then realized the story was awfully familiar. So too have a lot of other authors with their backlists. Just have to be wary when bookshopping now. Which is a test for my older mind. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG that totally happens to me all the time, though I usually only buy the duplicates at library sales it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL ... what a great blog post! You really had me going, Staci. I vote that you return the book and use your hard earned dough on something else.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Arggh I hate that! Although the new cover is sooooo much prettier lol
    I've bought a book based solely on a gorgeous cover and then disliked the book, a lot, so I'm saying nothing, when it comes to covers I'm terribly shallow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hate it when they do that. The publishers really should make it more obvious. My problem tends to be buying a book that I think sounds so good--only to realize I already own it. Just haven't read it yet. Same cover. So, I don't have the excuse you have of being tricked. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL, this has definitely happened to me. I'm a sucker for a pretty cover, too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey, you can still return that book to B & N and get an entirely different and new book!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really hate when they do that! I might return it, but if you like Roberts and haven't read it I'm sure you'll enjoy it. And it will look pretty on your shelves.

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!